Projects in the queue

  • 8-ball tournaments
  • Custom Pool Cue

Monday, January 28, 2013

High run under match conditions

Last week I met up with a friend of mine at Buster's, and we decided to play "our" version of Straight Pool.  Basically, the rules are the same as in regular Straight Pool, but safeties are not allowed.  No matter how the balls are arranged on the table, you have to try to go for a shot.  While it does not help develop defensive skills, it DOES force you to play very good position (especially as you get toward the break ball at the end of the rack).  If you end up the rack and you do not have a break shot, you have to try a crazy shot off of a full rack, and that will often result in a spread layout for your opponent.

While this was not technically a Straight Pool match, it was not just a practice session either.  We were both trying our hardest to put a run together.  My high run in an actual match was 15, but in this game I ran 7, gave myself a good break shot, made the shot and broke the rack, and then ran 13 more, for a total of 21!  This was my second-highest run EVER (I had run 25 in practice once), and it showed me once again how much I need to focus, as the 22nd shot was the ball before the break ball and it was very makeable.  If I could have sunk that 22nd ball, and then broken the rack with the 23rd, I might have broken my all time high run.

I'll take it, though...only the second time I have ever broken 20!

No comments: